General Knowledge Model Questions and Answers for preparing UPSC’s Combined Defence Services [CDS] Examination on October 26, 2014.
1. Indian Navy commissioned its first advanced Light Helicopter Squadron at Kochi in November 2013. What is the name of the Helicopter?
2. Corporation tax in India is levied on income of a company. Which one of the following does not include Corporation tax?
(a) Profit from Business
(b) Capital gain
(c) Interest on securities
(d) Sale proceed of assets
Answer: Sale proceed of assets
3. On November 8, 2013 many people died in Philippines after a super typhoon ravaged the country. What was the name of the typhoon?
4. The University of Nalanda was set up by which Gupta ruler?
Answer: Kumaragupta I
5. Heena Sidhu, who recently won a World Cup Gold medal for India, is associated with?
6. The only inscribed stone portrait of Emperor Ashoka has been found at:
7. Which one of the following was a temple built by the Chola Kings?
(a) Brihadiswara Temple, Tanjavur
(b) Meenakshi Temple, Madurai
(c) Srirangam Temple, Thiruchirappalli
(d) Durga Temple, Aihole
Answer: Brihadiswara Temple, Tanjavur
8. Who among the following was not associated with the activities of Theosophical Society?
(a) Madame H.P Blavatsky
(b) Mr. A.O Hume
(c) Col H.S Olcott
(d) Mrs. Annie Basant
Answer: Mr. A.O Hume
9. The Society of Jesus, whose followers were called Jesuits, was set up by?
Answer: Ignatius Loyola
10. Internal Security Academy is located at:
Answer: Mount Abu
11. Date of manufacture of food items fried in oil should be checked before buying because oils become rancid due to:
12. No matter how far you stand from a mirror, your image appears erect. The mirror is likely to be:
Answer: Either plane or convex
13. Veliconda group of low hills is a structural part of:
Answer: Eastern Ghats
14. Rachel Carson’s famous book ‘Silent Spring’ refers to:
Answer: The death of songbirds due to eating insects poisoned with pesticides.
15. Which method of water purification does not kill microorganism?